Pages

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Choices



I have made a bazillion choices throughout my life.

Some good, some not so good.

This morning I made the choice to eat bread and jam. That was good.

Yesterday I made the choice to read all day instead of clean. That was not good.

13 years ago I made the choice to be married and to one day welcome children into my awaiting womb.

And welcome them I did.

I threw up, a lot. I ached, a lot. I cried, a lot. My body is not the same.

But I am thrilled with my choice. Everyday there is something to find joy in.

But besides carrying them, baring them, and giving them the basic needs essential for life, I feel that I signed up for much, much more.

I made the choice to teach my children about their Savior Jesus Christ. Not just in word, but in deed, action, example.

Sometimes I feel like we're succeeding, sometimes I'm pretty sure the only way my children are listening is if they hear the words treat, or candy.

But I take what I do very seriously. As nice as it would be if it were otherwise, I am hugely responsible for how they turn out. Every choice I make in not only mothering them but in my own life will affect them. It will.

Which is both good and bad obviously. For one thing it means I cannot devour chocolate cake for breakfast without letting them do it too.

But I will gladly continue with this mantle of responsibility. I will revel in the moments where my oldest tells us about her knowledge that Jesus Christ lives and that she knows He died for her.

I will cry with joy when my second child doesn't give up and is rewarded for her efforts.

I will laugh when my first son dances with glee to Barbie music.

I will be grateful for my 4th child who reminds me where she gets her sassiness. (me, in case you didn't know)

I will feel absolutely gleeful watching my second son do his kung fu moves.

And I will be reminded once again of the joy of motherhood as I hold my 9 month old baby in my arms, as she plays with my mouth, sucks her own fingers, or nuzzles in for some mother's milk.

I have made choices, and fortunately for me, I get to live with them.

6 comments:

  1. You are so wise Amy...beyond your years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very thankful for the choices you make everyday! I love you!

    This was a beautiful post as you are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm assuming you know The Deal Geek?

    That was a lovely post, I will remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've said it before, and I think it's important for you to know how much you inspire those around you. I am convinced that you are given this gift in large part to share it with us, even if you don't realize it how your words and actions touch and inspire and change those around you to be better.

    Thank you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have made great choices. You're an amazing woman and mother. But I'm not so sure about the chocolate cake for breakfast business. I see nothing wrong with this?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always bring me right back to where my focus needs to be, so thank you and I'm off to tickle my little Tucker!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...