Pages

Friday, September 11, 2009

I'm double posting for 9/11

I wasn't going to write about it. I just wasn't.

I wrote about my humiliating experience and was not blogging again til Monday.

But I can't, not, write about it.

I feel more aware this year, of the anniversary of the terrorist attacks. I don't know why. I just do. Maybe it's the division I feel in our country that feels stronger to me lately. I don't know. But I remember how 9/11 brought us together as a country. How billboards went up everywhere that said God Bless America. And we were not ashamed of that. How people suddenly were friendlier for at least a little while and we could talk about God and His blessings with humility and renewed faith, without any anger or backlash from others.

So I just wanted to share where I was and what I was doing. Kind of like when Kennedy was shot. And I want to know, please, please, where you were and what you were doing when 9/11 happened.

We were living in Rhode Island. I was pregnant, newly pregnant and sick, with Charlie.

Maile and her two oldest, who were 2years and 3 months old were out visiting me.

I had taken Kate to her first day of pre-school when the calls started coming.

Miss Doris got a call from her sister. The towers had been hit.

I asked if there were people in the planes, yes, both towers or just one, at that point just one.

I wasn't from the east coast, so I had to be reminded of what the Trade Towers were. They weren't a fixture for me the way they were for so many living in the East.

On the way home tower two got hit. Maile was at my house and watched it happen live.
Jeff called home and she told him what was happening. He thought she was joking around with him and told his co-workers who were also just starting to hear from people.

Living on the east coast, it felt so surreal. Our friend across the street new someone who new someone that died that day. (Isn't that right Chris?)

We'd all made our trips to New York, become familiar with it as best as you can as a tourist. And watching the black and grey smoke billowing, just didn't seem real.

For hours we sat and watched t.v. Crying, sobbing, unable to stem the tide of emotions as we watched footage of people jumping from the buildings, preferring the fall to the heat and horror inside. Then hearing of the plane that went down in Pennsylvania, the Pentagon being hit. Wondering, wondering how many more attacks would occur before it was over.

Our landlord worked for one of the airlines. Everything was grounded. Nothing taking off. Fear, slamming into us like a wrecking ball.

I wanted Jeff to come home. I don't know why. Everyone at CVS was watching it at work. I'm not sure how anyone got anything accomplished that day.

We watched footage all the next day as well, until I finally couldn't stand it anymore. We had to get out and do something, think about something else for just a little while. The tragedy, the lives affected, was just so much to process.

At first the numbers of dead they were reporting were immense. I hate to admit it was with relief that I heard it was "only" 3000+ dead, not the thousands upon thousands originally feared.

My poor sister had to fly home a week after 9/11 with her two babies. I think she switched planes in Newark, where one that had hit the trade towers originated from. She had to fly across the country one week after our country changed. I'll let her tell about it in the comments section. But can you imagine?

I just wanted to write about it today. And I would love to know where you were when, as Alan Jackson puts it, the world stopped turning.

8 comments:

  1. you can read my account -- I just posted it.

    Thanks for sharing this! We can NEVER forget. We need our children to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad & I were up early - 6am west coast - watching it all on TV, horrified and nervous because both our daughters and their children were in Rhode Island. We went to New York 2 weeks later and found the people there to have (suddenly) become warm, helpful, friendly. People held doors open for others, talked in elevators, said "please" and "thank you." As a country, we were horrified by the attacks but we became unified because of that day. What has happened to that unity?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, if you look on the map of the US, you will see how intensely small this region is in comparison to yours. For us it's only one or two degrees of separation from each other. I know three people who lost loved ones that day. Lost were a girlfriend, an old friend, and a co-worker who left on a plane to ask his girlfriend to marry him. (she was on the plane, too). I saw it all unfold right on TV. I wondered whether I should get my son from school? My daughter innocently watched Barney in another room as I sat shocked on my bed with my best friend from childhood (who asked to come over) as we listened to the frightening words of the newscasters tell us this was an 'Act Of War'. I was as frightened as a child and didn't know what to do, or what was coming next. And this morning, I cried watching it all over again. God Bless America today and every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops, sorry...that last post was from me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was asleep and my roommate said you gotta come watch tv with me! I was of course mad to be awoken but went anyway. I sat and watched with horror as the 2nd plane crashed into the other tower. I started crying and then had to start calling people to see if they had seen what I had. I watched all day till work and then at work (which was a restaurant) nobody wanted to sit anywhere but in the lounge where the tvs were. What an emotional week I couldn't get enough of it and I cried with every story I heard. It lit a light inside of me that had gone dim and I was more proud to be an American then ever before! I bought lots of books on it and once in awhile look through them to see if I was really just dreaming it all up. I am saddened at how we could be so united and fall apart so quickly. Thanks for letting me share this and I enjoyed your thoughts too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i had just arrived at my modern dance class at byu...i couldn't figure out why everyone was gathered around a portable radio instead of warming up. i remember all of us sprawled on the hard wood floors in our leotards and tights, horrified, shaking, and crying. all day long as i walked around campus it was strangely deserted oustide; everyone was either in class talking about it or staring at the tv monitors in the wilk. i think most of us half-expected nuclear missiles to start streaking across the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. one more thing...i remember frantically trying to get through to my good friend who was living in new jersey. her husband worked just down the street from the twin towers, but was flying somewhere else that day. he never got on the plane b/c of what was going on, but several of coworkers died that day when they rushed over to help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for posting this. I have been thinking about my experience that day also. Off to post it on my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...