Pages

Wednesday, December 8, 2010



Last night was the first of many band concerts I am sure to attend at the middle school level.

If you played an instrument in middle school, or have a middle school band student yourself, then you already know what it's like.

I played the flute from 5th grade through high school, so the sounds I heard, while not surprising, were endearing and enjoyable.

The look of concentration on all of their faces was awesome. Not one kid there was not trying their best and they all seemed to really enjoy the process.

I was also pleasantly surprised to see the difference between the 5th grade band last year, and the leaps and bounds they have made this year.

I kind of push music in my house. It's been documented that kids who play musical instruments are better at math, and school in general. I don't know if it's directly because of music, or if those kids who choose music are smart to begin with. But either way, once I heard that, I decided that each child would play at least one instrument. For most of them, it's the piano. But I was pleasantly surprised when Julia said she wanted to play clarinet as well. Kate used to play the violin, quite well for her age, back in Utah. But when we moved to Maple Valley, we were quite dismayed to learn that there is no orchestra program to speak of.

Anyway, my whole point in sharing any of this with you is that if you played an instrument growing up, and your parents came to your concerts and endured, I mean enjoyed all the practice time plus concert time, well then, you should go thank them. Now. I mean it. And I will do the same.

"Thank you mom and dad for coming to each and everyone of my band concerts all growing up. I know that as I got older, it got better, but I also know that most of your time spent listening to me was just because you were supportive. Not necessarily because it was music to your ears.

I want you to know that I appreciate all that you did to instill a love of music in me, through providing lessons, driving me to competitions, accompanying me on the piano, and listening to numerous concerts every year for all of your children. "

Amy

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm sure there is at least one child in this house, if not more, who need to be practicing the piano. I'm off to hover, I mean support them in that effort.

8 comments:

  1. Spence is currently rocking the clarinet and loving it. It's so fun to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! (And it should be noted that the clarinet is an awesome instrument choice!)

    As you know, my parents also had 6 kids. And we all played something. I cringe now at the thought of my poor parents having to endure us girls practicing our flutes and clarinets and cellos and am a bit happy that my foster daughter opted to not be in band (though also a bit sad about that).

    Your kids will look back with joy knowing that you took the time to attend their concerts!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. go Julia!

    Unless i'm mistaken, there is a chamber orchestra that performs a couple times a year...might check with the GMVCC for starters. If Kate wants to go back to violin, that is... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Julia! And, by the way, she looked REALLY pretty in that picture. I'm in band (playing your flute, Aunt Amy) and I love it! Band is awesome! I've heard Julia play the clarinet before, and she is truly, really good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I never thought about it from this perspective! Joey plays guitar and has started a 'Worship Team' at school consisting of him and five female vocalists. (hmmmm) Anyway...they are all so dedicated and wonderful. I am there for every practice as I sort of try and organize their thoughts and ideas, plus I schlep the guitar and amp to and from school at least twice a week. I never thought about it from the point of view that he might actually someday THANK ME for that!? a-w-e-s-o-m-e! I thoroughly enjoy it and I'm so glad I'm a mom who doesn't say things like "someday you'll thank me for this..." haha!! It never even occurred to me that someday he would!

    :-)

    Julia...keep with the music! It's the best gift you can give to yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. :D "Thank you Mamma!" - Love, Anna. Yep, my Mom has supported me through my half-hour segments of piano practice. What would I do without the patience and love she has shown me through all my "piano banging" years? (Actually, they might not be over yet..) :D

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot! - Violin practice too.

    lol:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...