Pages

Friday, May 1, 2009

Pizza cutters-not just for pizza anymore


I have decided that being the mom of 6 kids does not mean I know everything, in fact, it is pretty much a daily reminder that I don't know enough.

However, I have at the very least, learned some tricks to managing a large family.

There is a lot that goes into day to day life, breakfast for all those people, lunches for all thoses people, dinner for all those people, laundry for all those people, homework help, getting chores done, and so on.

So I have decided to start the tip of the week. Every Friday I will have some little tidbit, piece of advice, that will help make your day flow a little better. Sometimes these tips will come from me, sometimes not, but hopefully they will actually be helpful.

The tip this week centers around breakfast. I am a lover of breakfast. Cereal, pancakes, bacon and eggs, waffles, omelettes, you name it, I love it. However, having had numerous small children, I absolutely detest cutting up pancakes and waffles and french toast into bite size pieces. I believe this is because I am a firm believer in cooking most things from scratch, so by the time I am done making pancakes or waffles, and the syrup, I am ready to cut a few corners.

I rejoice when they are old enough to cut up their own food, it's almost cause for celebration in this household.

When a child would ask for their food cut up, Jeff and I would look at eachother, I would usually give a big sigh, and like the good father and husband he is, Jeff would cut up their food for them.

However, breakfast time is all me. Jeff is already gone to work by then.

So a few years back, one of us-we honestly can't remember which brilliant mind came up with this, discovered that using a pizza cutter on breakfast food cut down not only on time, but also my tendency to sigh heavily when asked for help by one of the small ones.

That wheel slices through a puffy waffles like nobody's business. It creates teeny, tiny little pieces for the likes of Nora with her miniature little cherub mouth. It puts zero strain on my slightly arthritic wrist, and I can cut everyone's food up before you can say "please cut everyone's food up".

So there you have it. Use a pizza cutter to cut up your children's food. You will be amazed at how much faster it is, how easy it is, and there is no dramatic sighing involved.

6 comments:

  1. I love your blog! I am a mother of 4, trying for 5. I use my pizza cuter for breakfast food also. I have a 2 year old who refuses to eat the crust on bread, I use it on that also. You are full of inspiration! I look forward to Friday's tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only problem is trying to use the Pizza cutter on cereal. Tends to make a mess. Oh, and I'm sure it was all your idea!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! I will now forever use the pizza cutter to cut up breakfast food and more and think of you double time because YOU gave us our pizza cutter to begin with?

    ReplyDelete
  4. CLEVER!!!!! So simple yet I would have never thought of it!
    Yeah as far as the BF'S they both have that skater style....although the ex has the "dirtier" look. The new one is always dressed cute and clean (they were doing a run thru of The Hope of America program for the parents and all had to wear red shirts)...really, when did our girls get old enough to have "boyfriends", whatever that can mean in 5th grade! I swear it was yesterday when you and I were pushing them in the mall and they could FINALLY eat fries from Chick-Fil-A! And it used to be down by ZCMI not in the food court....ah the good ole days..ay University Mall..lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think as we all age..this tool can be used again for cutting up food!give one to your Mom for her birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love breakfast cereal, too. That's why I get mine from Serial Cereals at http://www.SerialCereals.com You should check it out when you have a chance.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...