Pages

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Burn, Baby, Burn

If you know anything about me, I tend to take a while to learn some of life's lessons.

Or I repeat things hoping for a different outcome. (Isn't that the definition of insanity?)

When I was 17 I went tanning for the first time. Ouch.

It was a painful, itchy, trip to the ER experience.

I decided to stay away from tanning beds.

As I got older I tried tanning again with more success.
I started slowly, built up my tan and didn't burn in a tanning bed again.

As I started to get older older, like in my 30's, I began to worry about skin cancer, aging, what have you.

But living in Rhode Island in the winter time, I realized I needed some sort of sun, artificial would have to do.

Then we moved to Utah where it is sunny all year long, so I no longer needed to tan.

Then when we moved to Washington, I got pregnant right at the beginning of winter so I dealt with the winter blues as afffectively as I could.

I cried a lot.

So as this winter seemed to drag on and on, I thought, I should go tanning again, get some rays to help lift my mood.

Most bad endings start with good intentions.

I seemed to forget that it has been 4 years since I stepped foot in a tanning place and that I was beyond pasty white from living in overcast, rainy, doesn't get over 80even in the summer Seattle.


So to lift my spirits, I went, got my little tour, blah blah blah, "do you burn easy?" "You don't? ok, go in this one for this long, blah blah blah"

Remember, the last time I went was 4 years ago. They were just starting to get fancy. So when she said 8 minutes I thought, that should be fine.

Well, it wasn't.

(Sorry about the angle, did you know it's really hard to take a picture of your own back?)

So now I hurt, but worse then that, I itch.

I itch to the point where I seriously sat poised, ready to stab myself in the leg with one of Jeff's epi pens.

But I'm too big of a chicken. And I'm glad I didn't, cuz after I stabbed the chair cuz I was curious what would happen, I saw how big the needle is.

Poor chair.

It really shouldn't have to take such abuse.

So now instead, I'm doped up on 2 Benadryl and a lot of itch cream. Which is just as hard to put on your back by yourself as it is to take a picture of your own back.

So please, I am uncomfortable enough, no comments on how stupid tanning is or what was I thinking.

Cuz I wasn't thinking. Obviously.

And now I'm off to sleep. And hopefully not itch.
Thank you very much.

2 comments:

  1. I, too, tan in the winters. When the last baby was three weeks old, I spent 100.00 buying tans. (still using those) Epi pen: Try using it in fruit next time. I always release the liquid into a piece of fruit when Si's expire, just for practice, okay-and I'm curious. And, don't forget, beauty is pain. Sorry, but it's true. AND, not that you have fat, but if you did have fat, I'd remind you that fat ALWAYS looks better TAN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't we all claim to not burn easily once we step inside a tanning salon anyway? Yes even me... red hair, so pale you can see the blue of my veins through my skin. I step foot in a tanning salon and I claim to not burn. It's like we ask for it! BURN ME PLEASE!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...