Pages

Friday, May 6, 2011

In the meantime

A while back I was invited to be an instructor for a workshop being offered on a wide variety of do it yourself type stuff.


Presenters ranged from repurposing furniture(me) to photoshop, starting a business from home, refashioning your wardrobe as well as a wide variety of make and take classes.


The workshop was postponed, but not before I found this awesome 5 dollar 1950's kitchen chair at goodwill that I had planned on showcasing in my class and then giving away.


(this picture is mid take apart after I realized I should probably have a before picture.


You get the picture though. Ugly vinyl, goldish metal.


But I had a vision for it. Oh yes I did.


Part of my class was to teach people that anyone can do great things with old or outdated furniture and do it for little money and little time. Usually.


I am not a perfectionist when it comes to the things I redo. I don't have time for perfection. I have time for good enough and get it done.


So this afternoon I got the make something over bug. Since I have to wait on my bedroom, I decided to tackle the chair. Even though I now won't be teaching a class or giving the chair away. But it added some spice to my afternoon for sure.


I started by unscrewing the seat and back. I didn't bother taking the old fabric off because if the padding was questionable (which it probably was) I didn't want to spend time or money replacing it. So I just left the old vinyl on and recovered it.


I used the scraps left over from my laminated cotton table cloth which I talked about here. And I just used a staple gun to staple the edges of the fabric.


(Sorry, I don't have midway pictures)


I then spray painted the chair with Krylon Blue Ocean Breeze.


When the chair was all dry, I screwed the seat and chair back onto the chair frame.


And voila!!






It's pretty amazing what some left over paint and fabric can do. I just like looking at it. It makes me happy.


Sorry this isn't a real tutorial. Mostly cuz I just kind of made it up as I went. But that's the way I roll.


I just like to get stuff done within a relatively short amount of time from start to finish.


Mostly it works out cuz I'm not concerned with it being perfect. And it doesn't have to be to be beautiful.

9 comments:

  1. you already know i love that fabric...but the chair turned out really cute!! nice makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shall get back to this post to read it.....

    Thanks for the email, you rock!!! I will try increasing and you know what, made cookies this am.................just sayin :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh, it's hard because I LOVE the original look. (Yep, I'm a sucker for 60s and 70s kitsch!) But I also love the new look.

    It is a great reminder of how we can make awesome things out of seemingly less-than-awesome things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like when you get that bug too! It motivates me to do the same :) After finishing the little mans room I repainted the dresser and hardware for his "new" dresser :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. did i ever tell you you're my heeeee-roooo?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Frances....my first thought was 'cool chair' at the before pic. But my kitchen is orange and green and it would work here.

    However, the after picture completely won me over. And THATis why I always feel so good at your house. The colors you choose are fresh and happy and they sing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As always....amazing! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...