Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

Date night surprise.

A few weeks back, Jeff decided to take me on a date. But the whole thing was a surprise. ooohhhh.

I searched my brain for what he could be planning. All he told me was that I needed to wear clothes that I didn't care about.

First problem. I don't own clothes like that. Most of my clothes should probably fall into that category right now, but they can't, because, well, they're the only clothes I have. So that sent me into a tizzy.

I started guessing. Pottery? No. Glass blowing? No. Rock climbing? No.

Jeff came home early on the day of, picked me up and we were off. I tried to get him to tell me more.

All he revealed was the same thing about the clothes, and that he hoped there would be nothing inappropriate going on.

Define inappropriate?

He couldn't.

But he laughed.




When we arrived at our destination, I was preeety sure we should just keep driving. The view, combined with possible inappropriateness and the need to not care about our clothes did not inspire confidence.


However, it proved to be nothing that my imagination was leaning me towards. It was a simple, quaint little art studio. When I saw the sign on the door, I pulled Jeff back and said, "I DON'T PAINT!"

Ok, I didn't yell, but I hissed rather loudly. He told me it would be fine. My nervousness comes from the fact that while I am artistic in many ways, and even though I have in fact been an art docent at the elementary school, I only really do stick figures when it comes to actual art. Jeff is the artist, so he was in his element.

But our instructor was wonderful. His name is Mark Miller, and if you have the chance and are in Seattle, take a class from him. I was completely at ease and we had soo much fun.

We're pretending to be doing something artsy. Do you believe it?

Me neither.



I think my impression of artists was a little off, and blurry. I just imagine them so much more intelligent and refined than myself. Don't look at my ketchup squiggles drawing. Shoot, you just looked didn't you?


Jeff's was really cool. He recreated a picture of us in front of the temple on our wedding day. Love him.


This was the most fun. I don't even remember what the technique is called, but you paint onto canvas, then you accidentally squeeze the bottle of paint so hard that the top pops off and splats a huge puddle of red paint. Oh wait, just the first part. I invented the second part:)


You then poor white or black paint at the top, and then....



you squeegee the whole thing.


When you're done you have a new picture. Some of the pictures others did were waayy cool. Ours was, well, unique.


Here we are with the finished product. Our clothes are still intact, and nothing inappropriate happened.
Well, I might have said some inappropriate things, but that's nothing new, or unexpected for that matter.


It was actually really, really fun. Jeff bought a Groupon for this, but lovely, wonderful Mark Miller told him that we were so fun that we could come back any time at the Groupon price.

Yeah, we're awesome like that.

Oh, and I'm not showing you my barn picture that really looks like a lean-to with squiggles because, well, I don't want you to be intimidated by my impressive art skills.

Truly, I'm genius:) Ok, not really. But I'm fun. That counts for something, right?




5 comments:

  1. Love, love, love, love, love!

    First, I love the story about wondering what the surprise was. My husband's friend took me through to Glasgow for a 'surprise that would appeal to my geeky side' and it was nothing like I was expecting (expecting an exhibit about movable type or a printing press, instead got a Doctor Who exhibit--and an accidental black eye from the friend!).

    Second, I love that you don't think of yourself as a painting-type-artist, because that's the way I feel about me. I'm arty and creative, but I don't draw!

    Third and fourth, I love the picture Jeff made and the cool squeezy-painting you did. That was way cool!

    Fifth, I just love this post. It made me smile. Thanks for that!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy,
    I just want you to know that I adore you!

    Love,
    that guy in the pictures with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw....Jeff! Could you just be ANY sweeter?

    Love you guys.... you are the coolest. And I love the picture of Nora...that came out awesome, red splotch and all.

    Now, here's a truly funny and very relevant story for you: This week were were in DC, and stopped at the Museum of Art and Portraiture. There was an exhibit of beautiful paintings from the 1980s to the present. There was one floor to ceiling painting of a famous dancer I don't know the name of. It was all done in greens and blues with long vertical lines. Then, on top of the dancer's left shoulder was a large splotch of pink paint. I asked Evan what he thought it was and he thought it was where the artist must have spilled pink paint on his picture. Seriously, that's what I was thinking, too, because I just couldn't explain the pink splotch for any good reason.

    So, I say you hang up that painting of Nora and call it art worthy of the Museum of Art and Portraiture! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks SO fun! I happen to love the Nora picture, btw. And you look beautiful, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds so stinkin fun!! Way to go Jeff!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...